The Unexpected and Off the Radar in Orlando North, Seminole County
SEMINOLE COUNTY, Fla. – You can head to Orlando’s theme park areas and view “Odditorium” and other peculiar exhibits, or enjoy the naturally inspired and authentic-Florida quirkiness of Orlando North, Seminole County just minutes and a world away. Here’s a sampling:
- The Danville B&B in Geneva, is 5-star rated and self-contained in an airplane hangar that magically transforms into an Inn with an Irish Pub, theatre, wedding pavilion and includes Seguays for roaming the property. Additional hangars house planes, a man cave and classic cars too. The owner/pilot eagerly takes guests for an aerial tour of the county. Overnight room rates vary. www.danvillebnb.com
- Inside Out House in Longwood was built in Boston in 1873 by Captain Pierce, then shipped and reassembled in Altamonte Springs, then moved again to Longwood in 1973. The House takes its name from its unusual exposed-stud framing on the outside and panels bolted together in shiplap fashion. An interior stairway still has the tight spiral stairs found in ships. Gift shop staff are frequently visited by the Captain and his cat Brutus, voices and footsteps are often heard and cold spots encountered. Free admission.
- Imperial Wine Bar and Beer Garden in Sanford is a furniture store by day known as Washburn Imports that transforms into an eclectic Bar Tues-Sat at 5:00 p.m. Shop early, but stay late to party. Free admission.
- Lake Jesup contains the densest population of alligators in North America. Though the ecosystem fosters a thriving habitat, the reptilian population is boosted as its the body of water wayward gators are relocated to when found in people-populated areas of Seminole County. Airboat tours can be provided by Black Hammock, Adults $27.94 + tax; Child $22.95 + tax.
- In Oviedo, at the bridge crossing the Econlockhatchee River, you can see a ghost light that has been known to chase cars for at least fifty years and is called the "Oviedo Lights." Usually there is only a single radiant ball, but on rare occasions as many as five lights have been observed.
- The pedal-propelled Limo Cycle tour features "Pub Crawls" through Sanford’s historic district.There's also a Sunday Brunch Tour, Ghost Tours, Scavenger Hunts, and can be booked for private parties. The tours wheel through the Riverwalk and Downtown Marina areas, and best of all beer and wine are allowed on board. Pub tours starting at $30++ per person.
About Orlando North, Seminole County: Teeming with old Florida charm and young Florida vibrancy, Orlando North, Seminole County offers visitors nature-based attractions, eclectic dining, an emerging micro brew scene, plus a year round calendar of festivals and events. With over 2,000 waterways, you’ll discover a wide array of thrilling outdoor activities from paddling in clear freshwater springs and rivers to airboating among alligators, or zooming through an aerial zip line course. It also features an array of sports and training facilities for amateur tournament play, including the 102-acre Boombah Sports Complex at Seminole County. And getting here is easy via Orlando Sanford International Airport (SFB), Orlando International Airport (MCO), aboard the Amtrak Auto Train, or via auto on I-95 and I-4; and you’ll save 30% on accommodations over Orlando hotels. All this and it’s just a short drive to area theme parks and beaches too. 1-800-800-7832 or 407-665-2900 or visit: www.DoOrlandoNorth.com